Sunday, October 14, 2007

Whole Grain Baking

I just finished reading a new cookbook, Whole Grain Breads by Peter Reinhart. I have used one of Peter's other books, The Breadmaker's Apprentice, and from it have made several delicious breads. Since whole grains are better for us overall, I thought I would get his new book.

The methods take a lot of time and you need to plan ahead. He uses a sourdough type starter and overnight fermentation for several of the breads. The minimum for most of the recipes is 2 days. I will let you know when I have tried some, I need a week when I am in town and able to do the prep ahead. There are also recipes for crackers and flatbreads. The nut and seed crackers look great, and a recipe for wheat thins is intriguing.

The breads from the Breadmaker's Apprentice were the best I have every made, so I am motivated to try the new recipes in the whole grain book. I will keep you posted.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I inclination not agree on it. I regard as polite post. Especially the designation attracted me to be familiar with the whole story.

Anonymous said...

Genial post and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you for your information.